- The BASI Board is elected by the Membership into whichever roles members wish to stand for. Technical directors must hold a qualification in whichever discipline they are putting themselves forward to represent.
- Candidates are selected in a first past the post election by members with voting rights.
- Directors are identified and selected to the Board. It would move from the current model where the organisation relies solely upon candidates from the membership, to one which deliberately seeks candidates from outside the world of snowsports who have the specific skills and experience required to effectively govern an organisation in the members interests. Whilst it is beneficial that Directors are interested in snowsport, this is not what we need from them skills wise and being a BASI member is not a requisite for appointment.
- candidates for appointment be sourced & shortlisted by an objective, independent body. These candidates (Chair included) would be screened, interviewed and selected by the Nomination & Remuneration committee, led by a senior NED.
Benefit to members..
- A professional Board of Directors with the skills required to do the job. Many of the issues which BASI has faced historically have been due to well-intentioned members not having the skills and experience required to act as Directors of the organisation.
- Less risk of conflict of interest on the board.
- The BASI Board is composed of a Chairperson, a CEO, an Alpine Director, an Adaptive Director, a Snowboard Director, a Telemark Director, a Nordic Director, a Trainers' Director, a Finance Director, a Marketing Director and a Legal Director
- The articles state that the number of Directors shall not be subject to a maximum and shall not be less than six. The current BASI Board is 10 strong, with a Chairperson, 3 x Functional Directors, 6 x Technical Directors
- It is proposed that the Board consist of a Chairperson, a Commercial Director, the BASI CEO/MD, 3 x Non-Executive Directors and a Members' Director. It is proposed that technical discipline Directors are no longer Board positions; instead, these roles shift to become members representatives on a newly formed "Committee of Representatives". The Board will be supported by an appointed Company Secretary - which is not a Director role.
- The number of Directors on the Board will shrink to seven. The number of Representatives on the Committee of Representatives will be six.
Benefit to members..
- Many Directors presenting themselves for election have little appreciation of the governance and financial responsibilities they will be legally accountable for in their role. All of the current technical discipline Directors consider themselves to be representatives of their fellow members and that their skills/experience prepare them well for this; but they simply do not have the correct skillset to act as Directors. The creation of a "Committee of Representatives" (which will give ONE elected member representative a rotating seat on the Board) will ensure the members' voice is heard at but also enables those elected to do what they are best at
- Reducing the number of Directors on the Board will lead to more effective, quality decision making whilst ensuring sufficient voices for diversity of opinion. The Board is currently too big, which can lead to silence by many and reliance on a few.
- BASI currently has 1 committee in place - the Finance & Remuneration committee. This consists of the Chairperson, the Finance Director and the Legal Director. It reviews management accounts on a monthly basis and reviews the CEO's annual budget before recommending it (or not) to the whole Board to vote on
It is proposed that two new committees be formed and the responsibilities of the existing Finance & Remuneration committee be split between them.
- A new "Nominations & Remuneration" committee would be chaired by a senior independent NED with min. 2 other Board members on it (not the Chair) ; the N&R committee would be responsible for oversight of the appointment of Board members and the remuneration of staff and Directors of BASI.
- A new "Audit & Risk" committee would be formed which reports to the Board pref. with a NED chairing it and with min. 2 other Board members (not the Chair). That committee is responsible for oversight of internal audit and risk management before those products are submitted to the Board (e.g. monthly/quarterly review of the Financial Report, monthly/quarterly review of the Risk Register, review of the Annual Report).
Benefit to members..
- A clear remuneration process, objectively & independently managed, with clear criteria for success.
- Greater focus on risk management to ensure the products mentioned are given thorough scrutiny before submission to the Board.